AKAIO for AceKard 2.1 Any help appreciated.

Read the RULES!
General discussion of AKAIO.

AKAIO for AceKard 2.1 Any help appreciated.

Postby graphix2004 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:27 pm

I was wondering if someone could help me clear a few things up. I've read the rules and the FAQ and not seen any information about the few questions I have regarding getting hold of new firmware, or at least the very latest original kernel from AceKard.

Back sometime in 2009 I think I bought about 8 cards. They said they only had 8 left in stock so panic bought a ton of em...Stupid I know... Anyway all AceKard 2 on the sticker says 2.1
I've always used their original 4.19/4.23 firmware I think it was that come with the card, or I downloaded from their official website. I found my DS Lite this year and like I always do I try every few years to download the new firmware. I noticed the site has gone now and the only trace and mention of updated firmware is AKAIO. I've never used anything but their official firmware before.

My questions are the following.

Can using the wrong kernel/moonshell or what ever you put onto the SD card to make it work actually brick the Nintendo DS Lite? Or, does it just brick/alter the flashcart? I'm sorry for not knowing this I thought the kernel/firmware on the SD card was just read only for the time the DS was reading the flashcarts? Am I wrong, or can the wrong kernel/firmware/moonshell actually brick my actual DS?

The reason asking is I found this thread on GBATemp saying about AKAIO

If you are using an Acekard 2.1 purchased around December 2009, you must use AKAIO v1.7+. Due to an unreported hardware change, saving required an update which was added into AKAIO v1.7. Acekard has since gone back one revision and the Acekard 2.1 manufactured around December 2009 is no longer made or available for order from Team Acekard.

If you are using an older Acekard 2.1 do not run AKAIO v1.8.2. This update (which was pulled after a handful of downloads) contains AP patching code provided by Team Acekard which overwrites the larger bootloader found in older 2.1 cards.

AKAIO v1.8.3, found on some forums, is a FAKE release. An anonymous user repacked v1.8.2 in the hopes of causing damage to misinformed users.

Since I cannot get newer official firmware for my AceKard 2.1 for my DS Lite can I use the latest AKAIO 1.9.0, or what version can I safely use without the fear of either bricking the actual DS Lite, or the AceKard 2.1?

Any help would be appreciated.
graphix2004

Re: AKAIO for AceKard 2.1 Any help appreciated.

Postby graphix2004 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:00 am

I'm I getting no help because I'm classed as a noob status? Well, yes I'm new but isn't everyone who registered at one point? Is it seen wrong to ask a question about this software before stupidly trying it without understanding it with the risk of physically damaging my card/game machine?

I thought the people who would of made the firmware updates specially for these types of flash-carts would be the people to ask. Since it's their software I'm trusting when loading it onto my device.
graphix2004

Postby DeadSkullzJr » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:51 pm

graphix2004 wrote:I'm I getting no help because I'm classed as a noob status? Well, yes I'm new but isn't everyone who registered at one point? Is it seen wrong to ask a question about this software before stupidly trying it without understanding it with the risk of physically damaging my card/game machine?

I thought the people who would of made the firmware updates specially for these types of flash-carts would be the people to ask. Since it's their software I'm trusting when loading it onto my device.

Hey dude, hate to say it but you came on way too late, the Acekard Team isn't even active anymore. In fact I think I am the only active user here. Anyways, you can run AKAIO 1.9.0 on your flashcart just fine. I have an Acekard 2.1 and and Acekard 2i, both work with the latest AKAIO release. To answer your question on the firmware updates, the Acekard 2 and Acekard 2.1 don't need firmware updates because those flashcarts only work on the Nintendo DS and DS Lite anyways, the Acekard 2i is the only Acekard that works on the DS, DS Lite, DSi, and 3DS (for the DSi and 3DS you would need custom firmware just to make the flashcart work on the console again).
DeadSkullzJr

Postby graphix2004 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:19 am

DeadSkullzJr wrote:
graphix2004 wrote:I'm I getting no help because I'm classed as a noob status? Well, yes I'm new but isn't everyone who registered at one point? Is it seen wrong to ask a question about this software before stupidly trying it without understanding it with the risk of physically damaging my card/game machine?

Hey dude, hate to say it but you came on way too late, the Acekard Team isn't even active anymore. In fact I think I am the only active user here. Anyways, you can run AKAIO 1.9.0 on your flashcart just fine. I have an Acekard 2.1 and and Acekard 2i, both work with the latest AKAIO release. To answer your question on the firmware updates, the Acekard 2 and Acekard 2.1 don't need firmware updates because those flashcarts only work on the Nintendo DS and DS Lite anyways, the Acekard 2i is the only Acekard that works on the DS, DS Lite, DSi, and 3DS (for the DSi and 3DS you would need custom firmware just to make the flashcart work on the console again).

Hey DeadSkullzJr! I've sub'd to your YouTube Channel! Cheers for being the only person here out of 200 + views to actually respond.

I have a few more questions if you don't mind answering? Maybe it will also help others lurking looking for help as well who knows.

Am I right in saying the DS Lite works firmware wise like a PS2 exploit where it's only active until the system reboots or you remove the FreeMcBoot.

i.e. Read-Only no way to update the actual firmware?

This confuses me is AKAIO/Moonshell an actual type of firmware, or just acts like a front end tool?
If the DS Lite can't be updated firmware wise then why do they call the updates "Firmware" on AceKard and other flash cart maker's websites. I.e Firmware 4.19/4.23 (Latest AceKard site did/had.)

If the DS Lite is read-only then can I damage/brick the console by trying any other type of DS lite Moonshell/"Firmware" from other manufacturers? like the PS2 when you power off or take out the flashcart it just resets back to the official.

I've never really tinkered just always used the 4.19/4.23 download from AceKard threw my games and stuff on the SD and away I went... Never actually looked into how it all works or what I can do, cannot do.

You also mentioned about needing custom firmware to get a dsi flashcart working? Shouldn't this be all provided as-is with the manufacturer's flashcard you buy specifically for that make/model?

Hope you can shed some more light on these things... who knows may help others as well reading in the future.
graphix2004

Postby DeadSkullzJr » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:32 pm

graphix2004 wrote:
DeadSkullzJr wrote:

Hey DeadSkullzJr! I've sub'd to your YouTube Channel! Cheers for being the only person here out of 200 + views to actually respond.

I have a few more questions if you don't mind answering? Maybe it will also help others lurking looking for help as well who knows.

Am I right in saying the DS Lite works firmware wise like a PS2 exploit where it's only active until the system reboots or you remove the FreeMcBoot.

This confuses me is AKAIO/Moonshell an actual type of firmware, or just acts like a front end tool?
If the DS Lite can't be updated firmware wise then why do they call the updates "Firmware" on AceKard and other flash cart maker's websites. I.e Firmware 4.19/4.23 (Latest AceKard site did/had.)

If the DS Lite is read-only then can I damage/brick the console by trying any other type of DS lite Moonshell/"Firmware" from other manufacturers? like the PS2 when you power off or take out the flashcart it just resets back to the official.

I've never really tinkered just always used the 4.19/4.23 download from AceKard threw my games and stuff on the SD and away I went... Never actually looked into how it all works or what I can do, cannot do.

You also mentioned about needing custom firmware to get a dsi flashcart working? Shouldn't this be all provided as-is with the manufacturer's flashcard you buy specifically for that make/model?

Hope you can shed some more light on these things... who knows may help others as well reading in the future.

It seems you are confusing/mistaking the firmware of the flashcart with the kernel the flashcart uses. The flashcart firmware is the flash the the cart itself uses in order to boot into anything related to the content you know and love, without it, your flashcart is just a hunk of plastic and hardware. The flashcart firmware is strictly used to add compatibility of said flashcart for a specified console firmware version. The flashcart kernel is what holds all the nifty features, game support, cheat support, etc.

This confuses me is AKAIO/Moonshell an actual type of firmware, or just acts like a front end tool? If the DS Lite can't be updated firmware wise then why do they call the updates "Firmware" on AceKard and other flash cart maker's websites. I.e Firmware 4.19/4.23 (Latest AceKard site did/had.)

These devices are made by Chinese developers, they barely could speak English well to begin with, flashcarts were still a hit back then so information and what to call things was sort of newish to the scene. The Acekard kernel and the AKAIO are just two different kernels for the Acekard 2, 2.1, and 2i, they both work, however AKAIO has better game compatibility. Using one or the other won't harm the flashcart nor the Nintendo DS console period.

You will not brick your DS by attempting to use a different flashcart kernel on your Acekard, that has never happened in the past at all and still doesn't to this day with modern flashcarts. The worst that can happen is the flashcart giving an error or just not boot into anything because you aren't using the right kernel. Back in the day when internal memory based flashcarts were a thing you could brick the flashcarts by attempting to launch a kernel that wasn't meant for them to use, even so you still couldn't brick the DS consoles with it.

I will be honest, I never looked into exploits for the PS2 so I have no clue about that, BUT what I can tell you is the firmware on the DS and DS Lite isn't like the firmware you see on a DSi or 3DS, they never had updates, at least none you downloaded through a service, instead different firmware versions varied depending on the DS and DS Lite models that were sold over the years. However these firmware versions didn't have features like you'd expect, most of the versions carried fixes, the only difference was v5-v7 (v7 being the latest for the DS Lite) caring out the backlight brightness functions that were launched with DS Lite models. I can't say they were "read only" either though because back then a couple malicious applications for the DS were able to destroy the firmware permanently, if you used Flashme at the time then you'd just lose your Flashme setup, you can always set that back up though.

You sort of misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying that the Nintendo DSi and the Nintendo 3DS requires what's called "custom firmware", most commonly known as CFW, in order to remove any flashcart blocks Nintendo themselves set in place to block these flashcarts in the form of console firmware updates, that's why flashcart firmware updates exists, to bypass the blocks so you can run your flashcart again on a newer console firmware. The Acekard 2.1 is very old my friend, the Nintendo 3DS didn't even exist at the time the Acekard 2.1 became a thing, in fact the Acekard 2i barely had support for the 3DS when it first came out, it was able to keep up on some of the console firmware versions but ultimately stopped having support sometime after 2012-2013 because of a limit on the hardware of the Acekard 2i. Both the Acekard 2 and Acekard 2.1 only work on the Nintendo DS and Nintendo DS Lite, they never got firmware updates because the DS and DS Lite didn't block said flashcarts. Also remember that back then custom firmware didn't exist for either the DSi or the 3DS, people had to wait for flashcart firmware updates to bypass the blocks if they updated their consoles.

Even if you attempted to use a kernel the Acekard doesn't support, the worst that could happen is it just doesn't boot into anything, the simplest fix is to use the right kernel. You are completely safe, though I do have to tell you the Acekard scene is dead, they have been dead for years.
DeadSkullzJr

Return to Forum Rules / General discussion