Generic problems

Read the RULES!
General discussion of AKAIO.

Generic problems

Postby WiZaRd » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:57 pm

Some time ago I posted some bugs here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1033
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1032

Both games seem to work for some ppl but neither of my Acekards seems to work with those games (and I've tried all available EUR ROMs, now, downloaded them again and again and also tried them on no$gba - where they run fine).
I've also read (GBATemp and Acekard forum) that some ppl also run into seemingly random issues with certain games while all other games seem to work fine.
Re-formatting, toggling options, re-downloading... nothing seems to work... my only guess is that the used microSD may not have the needed speed (or maybe it's too fast?) - are there some guidelines out there that state which speeds "should work"? Or maybe it's because of the location of the ROM on the microSD?

Well, now my question is if you have any idea what could cause such behaviour and/or if you are interested in detecting the cause for that. I'm offering to try out debug/beta versions or whatever to help identifying and possible solving the issues and I'm sure others are willing to help solving their own problems, too.
I'm sorry if my post annoys you but IMHO reaching perfection is always desirable.
Using AKAIO 1.9.0 - thx a lot, Normatt & Co!
WiZaRd

Re: Generic problems

Postby FawkYew RTFM » Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:05 am

this is not how we accept bug reports on this board. there are no generic problems. its either an akaio issue, a rom issue, or a homebrew issue. pick the one that describes your problem and then edit your post to avoid a warning.

your entire question reads like you have not fully debugged. you are asking if the msd card is the cause of your problem, try different msd cards. we can't attempt to fix something if we don't know what is causing the bug, if you can't debug fully we will never be able to figure out where the problem is.
WIKI | I am like God here - Mouth off and get banned from my world!

before you post:
read the rules thread
read the "before you post" thread
read about how to properly report a bug
FawkYew RTFM

Postby WiZaRd » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:53 am

Oh I created fully debugged reports (see first post for the links) but as I'm not the only one with seemingly "random" errors, I thought it might be worth asking if there are some hints about the cause of those issues.
The question is IF the microSD may be the cause i.e. does AKAIO need a microSD with a r/w of at least x MB/s to work properly? If so, I think that a NOTE would be helpful, i.e. on sold Acekards or in the forums and If not then I'm sure that the Acekard itself is damaged but I doubt that because all other games work fine.
WiZaRd

Postby FawkYew RTFM » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:31 am

moved topic to gen discussion area.

before you post:
read the rules thread
FawkYew RTFM

Postby WiZaRd » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:21 am

Thanks.
I want to add a strange issue.
My son came asking why all his savegames were gone. I took his AK2i (fully updated to the latest 'Narnia'-version) and verified his settings in my DSi XL. He had changed the savegame format (.nds.sav instead of plain .sav) and I adjusted it back and tried to launch a ROM (Pokémon Black EUR). It just showed 2 white screens forever. I rebooted the DSi XL and still: 2 white screens.
Afterwards, he put it into his DSL, launched it and... it worked - flawlessly!
Once again in my DSi XL: 2 white screens. :shock:

I have to mention that the same ROM works when run from my microSD and my AK2i in the DSi XL.
Now that means that there are some differences between the DSi (XL)/DSL consoles and their capabilities/handling? I don't really know what could be the cause of those issues but I'm sure it'd be worth investigating.

Is there a "special" AKAIO version or some homebrew out there that could test and log some important information?
WiZaRd

Postby WiZaRd » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:34 pm

No offense meant, I'm just trying to find out the reason(s) behind those strange issues.
As posted here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1071 there's another guy with a similar problem:

The game works in one handheld but not in another - on the SAME microSD and the SAME Acekard.
This closes it down to 2 possibilites:
  • One of the handheld has contact issues
  • There are differences between the procedures used by the handhelds to handle the inserted cards
Did I miss something?
The problem can't be related to the first point - at least for me - because other games run fine on both systems - why should only a FEW SPECIFIC games have contact issues/format issues or whatever?!
If the problem is related to the latter point, I'd really like to help narrowing it down and fixing it, just tell me what information you need.

For me it's clear that there MIGHT be an issue with specific cards/microSD cards. You are right, this isn't related to AKAIO and if you don't want any further discussion, I'll stop it and contact Team Acekard instead, though as you're the team working on the FW, I thought you may want to eliminate all issues stopping ppl from using your great FW - I doubt that we can find out much without some help from the developer(s).
WiZaRd

Postby FawkYew RTFM » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:05 pm

Contact issues can manifest at any point, during any game, when you least expect it, and take on the form of white screens, save problems, loading issues, etc.

Are the same games always having problems at the exact same spot?
Are the games 128MB or larger?

I have personally experienced contact issues that plagued 1 game and not another. I have also debugged cards that had contact issues on one system but not another. After taking apart the AK2i, padding it with the proper bit of paper, and then testing again, the problems went away. I ask about the size of the ROM because AKAIO's AP was adjusted to a point that 128+ MB games require a cluster size of 16K. i'm pretty sure that information is in the AKAIO WIKI.

before you post:
read the rules thread
FawkYew RTFM

Postby WiZaRd » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:21 am

FawkYew RTFM wrote:Are the same games always having problems at the exact same spot?

Usually, yes.
FawkYew RTFM wrote:Are the games 128MB or larger?

The 2 mentioned in the first post are smaller or exactly 128MB but Pokémon Black (posting.php?mode=quote&f=2&p=3500#pr3442) has 256MB.

I have personally experienced contact issues that plagued 1 game and not another. I have also debugged cards that had contact issues on one system but not another.
After taking apart the AK2i, padding it with the proper bit of paper, and then testing again, the problems went away. I ask about the size of the ROM because AKAIO's AP was adjusted to a point that 128+ MB games require a cluster size of 16K. i'm pretty sure that information is in the AKAIO WIKI.

The cards are formatted via Panasonic formatter and the mentioned cluster size.
I experienced similar problems (e.g. "touch"-intensive games are more prone to get stuck or whatever because of the card loosing contact during gaming which can't be fixed by the paper click trick on my DSi XL) but I'm not sure if contact issues are responsible for all mentioned problems but if they can really occur just for some games and at any point, then it would be a possible explanation as I found the DSL card slot to be more tight then the XL one... maybe that's preventing contact issues for those handhelds.
I'm also not sure if I could fix it properly by opening the cards :? but I just checked out the contact issues thread (for other ppls' reference: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=790&p=2699) and there are now 3 methods to fix those issues... I guess I will try those and get back here after that - thanks a lot :geek:

BTW: as this seems to be a common problem, did you inform Team Acekard about that so a future release of the card could feature a different and more solid shell?
WiZaRd

Postby FawkYew RTFM » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:56 pm

They are well aware of the problem and they don't care to fix it. Especially now that the DS is on the way out.

Can you give us save files for these games at a point where the game freezes? If we can reproduce it then perhaps it is something that can be fixed in AKAIO.

before you post:
read the rules thread
FawkYew RTFM

Postby WiZaRd » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:27 pm

That's a pity :?

About the save files: unfortunately there are none for all games that I encountered problems with and posted here.
Usually the problems occur before you have the chance to save for the first time, e.g. "Monster Lab" freezes when you try to save or after the first fight in the game and "Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs" enters an infinite loop after selecting your Dinosaur at the start of the game - that's really funny, it just returns to the selection screen again and again.
Unfortunately you already replied that it works correctly on your systems, so I doubt it can be fixed :|
Well, at least the original cart run without problems, so I had to hand them over to the kids which I wanted to avoid by buying flashcards in the first place.
WiZaRd

Return to Forum Rules / General discussion